Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Scotland, Here I Come!

May 29, 2010

    As my train was leaving at 6:15am, I got up at 3:30am. From there I had the whole morning to a t, from the bus ride to the tube to the train station. It fell to pieces when the bus arrived an hour later than I expected. While I waited for it, I proceeded to try to find the station myself, get lost and have a mild panic attack. After I regained my footing, I ran home and called a taxi, who promised a pick-up in 2 minutes but failed to do so. It is nearing 5:45am at this point and I'm reviewing in my head what I'm going to say to the conductor to allow me on the fully-boarded train. Miraculously, a bus arrives 15 minutes earlier than scheduled, I get on the first tube and arrive at the train at 6:13. I was literally stepping onto the train as the doors were closing. Once my heart slowed down, I slept for the entire ride.
   I awoke to the luxurious countryside of Scotland. What a place. Sheer cliffs of the most potent green lined with stunning, gothic castles too big to imagine. The entire city is lined with purple flowers and the greenest hills and mountains, just too picturesque for words. Wandered around a bit, taking in the magnitude of the space, then met Ellie in our super cool hostel. It was all painted in neons and cartoon characters and had a huge bar and television space. Not to mention an internet cafe! We headed to the highest point in the city and saw everything from the monument, "Scotland's Biggest Mistake" to the school that inspired Harry Potter to Tom Riddle's grave. We wandered into town and found a proper pub to try "haggis", a Scottish meat and potatoes dish. We chatted with the locals and even some visitors, as stag parties were dispersed throughout the city, and then continued our wandering. We roamed through the antiquated graveyards, walked to the castle then let our journeys take us to "The Elephant Cafe" where J.K Rowling used to write. The perfect hot chocolate-- made with pink marshmallows and sprinkled in cocoa and whipped cream. Perfect for cold Scotland weather. We hiked up the hills and took on the shopping district then retired to a lovely cafe for dinner. We ended up chatting with the waitresses and staying nearly three hours. Afterwards, we met our first men in kilts, saw a full Rugby team and hit the town for a girl's night out. After dancing, we went to McDonalds in Scotland! We sat with these funny Irish boys who commented on my American accent and laughed out loud when I said my name was Brittany. He claimed it was the most American name he could ever dream of. After our snack, we finally returned home, soaking wet from the pouring rain. What a great night!

Love love xx

No comments:

Post a Comment