Tuesday, June 15, 2010

The Big Summary

The last time we spoke, I was sitting on the rocks of a stunning Italian beach. The next morning we went on a 12 kilometer hike through stunning flowers, evergreen vineyards and nerve-tingling cliff drops over a perfectly blue ocean. We headed back to London after hours and hours of traveling through Italy and stayed comfortably with my family until we headed back to Ireland. We arrived in the night and slept, once again, in the airport to make sure we were timely for our flight and avoid the cost of a hostel. Finally, after 7 hours, we landed back in the states (lets hear it for New York!) then back to Orlando. My car battery was out but Robby's good soul jumped it for my journey back to my family...finally!

  Wanted to end with a few thoughts. I can't help but feel non-stalgic. The trip was a blur, London feels like ages ago and Ireland, another life. I've grown up so much, I don't think I can quite grasp the magnitude yet. Or if I really ever will. But I've traveled in every way: plane, train, boat, bus, subway, car. I've had every food, seen every landscape and lived in every type of accommodation. And weather? Rain, sun, snow, all of it. I've lived fro a backpack for the last week and a suitcase for the last five.

    I've learned to enjoy silence. To sit and think. And to really feel. I cry at the size of mountains and revel in the taste of a good coffee. I've learned to show immense gratitude. It shocks the Brits and gets you a free breakfast in Italy. I've learned to say yes. Yes to running off a mountain. Yes to an Irish jig with a stranger. Yes to a sidetrip to Italy. Yes opens up your world. Don't hesitate, don't think on it. Just live.

   I've learned the value of a good conversation. How quick are we to settle into the basic discussion of weather, jobs and public transport? It is amazing to talk about people's livelihoods, their travels, their music. What makes them think, feel, live. People are so much the same. Traveling shows you how connected we are at our cores: we all want to laugh, have a good jaunt and feel love. How can we be scared of each other knowing we all long for the same things?

   I've learned how great it is to not have a plan. My favorite days had no agenda, consisted of wandering and celebrating finds when we stumbled upon them. How much does this apply to life? It is okay that I don't know what I want to do. It is okay to feel unsure. Life is unsure. What is sure is that it is beautiful, we are resilient and there is opportunity. I could paraglide for the rest of my life, if I wanted to. There is no "right" way of doing things. How exciting. And I'm not afraid of aging anymore. I spent the last week talking to a 33-year old teacher who travels every holiday, has friends around the world and looks 25. She told me, "Aging is a mentality". She is proof of that.

   Life is so good, the world is so beautiful, people are so exciting and every day demands every emotion. 
What a beautiful mess this is.

Thank you for following, love you guys xx

No comments:

Post a Comment