Sunday, May 23, 2010

Family Time

May 23, 2010

   I spent today with my family! My cousins live just down the street from my homestay, so it was too easy to get in touch. I spent the morning with my cousin, Cara, and her husband and children. We had a breakfast with a traditional Israeli spread and amazing lox and bagels. Then, her little girls and I perfected the art of card-making and present-wrapping to prepare for our cousin's birthday. After all of this, we headed down the street to my baby cousin's 2nd birthday party. The party was lovely, we sat in the sunshine in the garden and chatted all day long. The scene was perfect: the kids running in the sprinklers and the adults sipping drinks in the chairs alongside them. They compared the weather to South Africa, perfectly sunny and dry, and we had a gorgeous time comparing travel stories over pastries. Afterwards, my cousins and I headed to a nearby park for iced coffee (coffee with a dollop of vanilla ice cream) and more Israeli dishes. Such amazing food! We met up with some more South Africans who live in their community and had a great time chatting over hummus and pitas. Big day with CNN tomorrow!

Ek lief vou (Afrikaans for "I love you"!) xx

No comments:

Post a Comment